Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I travel while my green card application is pending?

You may be able to travel internationally and return to the United States with an advance parole or travel document. You can submit the I-131 Application for Travel Document with your I-485 Adjustment of Status (“green card”) application, and you should receive the travel document within 90 days after submitting the application. If you need to travel before you receive the travel document, you may apply for an emergency travel document with the Miami District Infopass office if you can demonstrate a personal or business emergency.

How soon after my green card case is filed will I get my interview?

USCIS is currently conducting interviews approximately 6 months after an I-485 application is filed. This timeframe is always subject to change according to USCIS caseload.

How soon can I work after submitting my green card application?

You can work after receiving employment authorization from USCIS. You can file an I-765 Application for Employment Authorization simultaneously with your I-485 application, and you should receive your employment authorization card within 90 days after submitting the application.

When do I get my social security number?

You can apply for a social security number with the local Social Security Administration office after you have received employment authorization.

What do I need to get my driver’s license?

See the following link from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website:

Am I in legal status while my green card case is pending?

While your green card application is pending, you are considered to be in a “period of stay authorized by the Attorney General.” Generally, you will not be deported before receiving a final decision on your green card application.

I have a deportation order. Can I get a green card if I am married to a U.S. citizen?

If you have a deportation order, you should consider whether or not there are grounds to reopen your deportation case. If you reopen your case, then you may be eligible to apply for a green card in court based on your marriage to a U.S. citizen. Also, if you entered the country as a parolee, then you can apply for a green card with USCIS even though you have a deportation order.

I feel my case has been pending for too long. What can I do?

The USCIS service centers issue case processing reports each month to notify the public of how long it is taking for the agency to process most cases. See the following website for the case processing reports: If your case is outside normal processing time, you can call USCIS customer service and register a complaint. The USCIS customer service representative should give you a confirmation number and record your complaint in the USCIS computer system. In some circumstances, it may be advisable to file a Mandamus lawsuit against USCIS to compel them to make a decision on your case.

How can I pay my taxes if I don’t have a social security number?

Anybody can pay federal income taxes with an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Visit for more information on how to obtain an ITIN.